“I want to move to Italy but I don’t know how!”
I thought the same thing not too long ago, but guess what? I did it. I moved to Italy and here I am. Ta da!
If you have a dream of moving to Italy (whether it’s for 6 months, a year or forever), but you aren’t sure on where to begin, you’ve come to the right place! Like you, I once had the same dream and I made it happen. It wasn’t easy. It wasn’t simple. But it was worth it. I’m here to tell you and act as your living testimonial that it is possible.
Below you’ll find some advice and guidance on moving to Italy based on my own personal experience and research.
Please read through these articles carefully before contacting me! Although I love talking to people, I get a lot of emails often asking me the same questions that I have already answered here on the blog :)
Posts on Moving to Italy
General Moving to Italy advice:
- So you want to move to Italy… – The three different ways you can move to Italy legally
- 8 Things You Should Know Before Visiting the Italian Consulate – Be prepared! Italian consulates are notorious for their disorganization and rudeness!
- Italian Immigration Law Survival Tips – Just a few inspirational tips and reminders on how to survive being an immigrant in Italy
- The Ultimate Italy Packing Guide – What to pack when coming to Italy
- Lista Nera – American things I always pack in my suitcase to bring back to Italy with me
- Cost of Living in Bologna – How much it costs to live in Bologna
- Apartment Hunting in Italy – Tips, advice, and vocabulary for finding an apartment in Italy
- Renting Apartments in Italy: Tips to Avoid Getting Screwed
- Moving to Italy Hindsight – 20 things I wish I had done better before moving to Italy
Studying in Italy
- How to Obtain an Italian Study Visa – A breakdown of what is an Italian study visa and how you can apply for one
- How to Obtain a Permesso di Soggiorno for Study – Once you have your study visa, this will come in handy
- How to Obtain a Dichiarazione di Valore – Applying for university in Italy? Find out what a Dichiarazione di Valore is and how to apply for it!
- My first day at Italian University – Here I recount my Italian university experience when I attended a course at the University of Bologna (*post nominated for the Italy Magazine Blogger Awards!)
Working in Italy
- How I Got an Italian Work Visa – Why you need a visa to work in Italy and my personal work visa story.
- How to Obtain a Permesso di Soggiorno for Work – Once you have your work visa, this will come in handy too!
- What is the Decreto Flussi anyways? – An immigration law you need to know about if you want to work in Italy and you’re a non-EU citizen
Teaching English in Italy
- How to Become an English Teacher in Italy – My personal experience + some common questions/answers about teaching English in Italy
- English Schools in Bologna – A list of English Schools in Bologna
- The Via Lingua Experience – A review of the TEFL course I attended in Florence
- TEFL Resources – The resources I think all TEFL teachers should have in their back pocket!
Movin’ to Italy FAQ
Every month I post commonly asked questions I get from readers about moving to Italy. Here are some of the questions I’ve answered so far!